Index Page Last Updated: 01 Dec 2013
W.A.B. Contest Reminder
The W.A.B. Christmas Party takes place on Thursday 26th December 2013.
See the Contest page for details.
NEW AWARD FOR 2014
2014 is W.A.B.'s 45th (Sapphire) Anniversary. To commemorate this, an award based loosely on the number '45' will run for 2014 only. See the Sapphire Award page
PROBLEMS WITH INTERNET EXPLORER 10
Some people have reported problems when clicking links on the W.A.B. web site whilst using Internet Explorer 10. Whilst these are being investigated, please use 'Compatibility View'.
Welcome to the Worked All Britain web site. We hope you find the site useful and easy to use.
Please click on a heading to the left, or across the top, to proceed. Menu items ending '>>' will expand/contract when you click on them.
DEFINITION OF A WORKED ALL BRITAIN SQUARE: The W.A.B. Square is the 10Km small square and the Country, e.g. “SP87 England”, “NN90 Scotland” etc. (see Definitions page)
REMINDERS TO MEMBERS
- All official W.A.B. correspondence must go via the Honorary Secretary. For contact details, please see the Committee Page.
- The published W.A.B. Net Frequencies do not 'belong' to W.A.B. - If a frequency is not in use, then anyone can use them.
- QSL Cards are not required to claim any W.A.B. Awards. However, if a report on a QSO is received from an SWL by any means (e-mail, QSL Card, eQSL etc.), any Book Numbers they have may be claimed by the station
receiving the report.
- The W.A.B. Callsigns (G4WAB & G7WAB) are available for W.A.B. members to use (for a specified limited period of time), BUT YOU MUST CONTACT THE LICENCE HOLDER FOR PERMISSION FIRST to avoid clashes and illegal callsign use.
Contact G7GJU to use G4WAB or G0AKH to use G7WAB
'NETIQUETTE' - A SHORT GUIDE FOR ALL MEMBERS, NEW & OLD
- Only call into the net when the controller asks for check-ins.
- Where there are mobiles running, be brief. A maximum of 2 attempts at exchanging signal reports, plus a further attempt at the end of the list.
- Do not ask the mobile for his W.A.B. Square - the net controller will give it.
- If the net controller cannot hear the mobile and you can, be prepared to assist.
- Make a note of the order of stations on the list, and once you have worked the mobile, pass it on to the next station on the list. This speeds things up and saves work for the net controller.
- Always repeat back the report given to you by the station you are working. This is a check that you have received your report correctly.
(See the W.A.B. Nets page for further details)
NEW CONTEST & CONTEST RULES FOR 2014
The W.A.B. Contest Rules have been amended for 2014 (see the Contest Rules page), and a new Data Modes Contest has been introduced at the request of members.
NEWSLETTER EDITOR & NEWSLETTER NAMING COMPETITION
Ken Porter G0FEX has taken over as Newsletter Editor. Our thanks to the 'retiring' editor Geoff Darby G7GJU, who will still remain as Secretary. Please send any newsletter copy/suggestions to Ken (see the Committee page).
Ken is launching a competition to find a name for the W.A.B. Newsletter - please send your entries to him.
We would like to welcome Ken Porter G0FEX & Geoff Birch G0GWY onto the committee.
Due to county boundaries no longer being shown on Ordnance Survey 1:50000 maps, and varying definitions of what constitutes a 'county' since Government administrative boundary changes some years ago, the W.A.B. Counties Award is no longer considered a practicable proposition.
New Version of BookFinder program
Roger G0HZK has released an updated version of his BookFinder program. See the BookFinder Program page for more details.
W.A.B. are pleased to announce to that we have made following donations:
- £500 to R.A.I.B.C.
- £500 to Pump Aid
- £500 to the National Search & Rescue Dogs Association
- £500 to R.N.L.I.
- £500 to Cancer Research UK
Letter of thanks from the National Search & Rescue Dogs Association in recognition of the £500 donation made by W.A.B. (Click on image to view larger version)
Steve G6TEL (left) presents a cheque for £500 to the R.N.L.I. in the crew room at Poole lifeboat station
At the request of members, an award has been instigated for working/hearing W.A.B. Members, to run alongside the Book-Holders Award. Claims can be back-dated to 1st January 1970. See the Members Award page for further details.
RSGB 100th ANNIVERSARY CALLSIGNS
The RSGB 100th anniversary callsigns do count towards our Special Event Stations award. For further clarification, please see the Special Event Stations Award page.
CUMULATIVE AWARD WINNERS FOR 2012
President's Trophy - (winning overall single operator contest entrant)
- Winner: G4CQR, Dave Wood with 26 points
- Runner up: G0BFJ, Brian Stocks with 22 points
- Third: G0FVH, David Dolling with 18 points
The Keith Robson, GM3VTY, Memorial Trophy - (winning overall multi-operator contest entrant)
- Winners: G5FZ, The Lincoln Short Wave Club with 20 points
- Runners up: G6LD, Denby Dale ARS with 8 points
- Third: MX0YCG/P, The Yorkshire Dales Contest Group with 6 points
These were presented at the 2013 W.A.B. A.G.M.
From the start of 2013, Timed/Annual Awards may only be claimed up to a maximum of 6 months after the end of the qualifying period. For example, the 2013 Decade Award can be claimed until the end of June 2014. This applies to TIMED AWARDS ONLY.
To progress from one award level to another for an Annual Award (e.g. from Bronze to Silver for the Decade Award), each subsequent claim must be for the same band as the first. Claims for a different band will be annotated as Basic level. If a year is missed, the level will return to Basic.
Don't forget that if you would like to join the Committee, please complete a Committee Nomination form (download from the link at the bottom of the Committee page).
W.A.B. Donates to ShelterBox
Worked All Britain has donated £590 to purchase a ShelterBox. You can find more details about ShelterBox here, and track the actual box we have bought by using the tracking number UK0066271 here.
Click on the image on the right to read the letter of thanks.
Update December 2012: Our Shelterbox has been sent to Northern Iraq to shelter refugees from Syria.
CLAIMING AWARDS FROM YOUR ARMCHAIR!
A PayPal "donate" button has been added to each page of the web site. This was not the original intention of it, but it's very suitable to use in claiming awards without leaving home.
Firstly - email your claim to the Awards Manager (see Committee page), secondly - hit the "Donate" button and submit the amount relevant to your claim.
G8PUT LOGBOOK PROGRAM
Chris G8PUT has released a new version of his Logbook Program which will allow record keeping for W.A.B. Awards. More details can be seen on his web site, along with a download facility.
See the G8PUT Logbook Program page for details.
W.A.B. BADGES FOR SALE
W.A.B. have produced enamel badges with the W.A.B. round logo in either Dark Blue or Magenta. See the Price List for your location.
(Please Note: Due to the reflective nature of the badges,
they are difficult to photograph to get a true representation)
W.A.B. LOG BOOKS FOR SALE
W.A.B. have produced a special Log Book, with columns for recording the W.A.B. Square of stations that you work/hear. For details, see
the Log Books page. These have been so popular, that a fifth print run has been necessary, but unfortunately due to increasing costs, we have had to increase the price slightly. Don't miss out on your copy!
W.A.B. QSL CARDS FOR SALE
W.A.B. have two designs of QSL Cards printed for sale. For details, see the QSL Cards page.
G3ABG QSL Card to G3JAS 6 June 1970
Another G3ABG QSL Card