Index Page Last Updated: 26 Oct 2014
Welcome to the Worked All Britain web site. We hope you find the site useful and easy to use.
Please click on a heading to the left, or across the top, to proceed. Menu items ending '>>' will expand/contract when you click on them.
DEFINITION OF A WORKED ALL BRITAIN SQUARE: The W.A.B. Square is the 10Km small square and the Country, e.g. “SP87 England”, “NN90 Scotland” etc. (see Definitions page)
REMINDERS TO MEMBERS
- All official W.A.B. correspondence must go via the Honorary Secretary. For contact details, please see the Committee Page.
- The published W.A.B. Net Frequencies do not 'belong' to W.A.B. - If a frequency is not in use, then anyone can use them.
- QSL Cards are not required to claim any W.A.B. Awards. However, if a report on a QSO is received from an SWL by any means (e-mail, QSL Card, eQSL etc.), any Book Numbers they have may be claimed by the station
receiving the report.
- The W.A.B. Callsigns (G4WAB & G7WAB) are available for W.A.B. members to use (for a specified limited period of time), BUT YOU MUST CONTACT THE LICENCE HOLDER FOR PERMISSION FIRST to avoid clashes and illegal callsign use.
Contact G7GJU to use G4WAB or G0AKH to use G7WAB
'NETIQUETTE' - A SHORT GUIDE FOR ALL MEMBERS, NEW & OLD
(The following has been collated from various comments received - good and bad. They are not aimed at any particular station(s), and will hopefully assist in easing the smooth running of nets)
- Only call into the net when the controller asks for check-ins.
- Where there are mobiles running, be brief. A maximum of 2 attempts at exchanging signal reports, plus a further attempt at the end of the list.
- Do not ask the mobile for his W.A.B. Square - the net controller will give it.
- If the net controller cannot hear the mobile and you can, be prepared to assist.
- Make a note of the order of stations on the list, and once you have worked the mobile, pass it on to the next station on the list. This speeds things up and saves work for the net controller.
- Always repeat back the report given to you by the station you are working. This is a check that you have received your report correctly.
(See the W.A.B. Nets page for further details)
LATEST OV00 ACTIVATION
The rare W.A.B. Square OV00 was activated on 30th July 2014 by a group from Denby Dale Amateur Radio Society. Here is a copy of the QSL Card:
AWARD PRICE INCREASES OUTSIDE UK
We apologise for the high costs outside the UK, but our postal service has decided in its wisdom to classify a single certificate as a parcel! However a pdf version is available to anyone for only £1 or €2/$2. You may then print the certificate yourself. Payment for this method can only be accepted in Sterling coin or via PayPal. Non-UK coins cannot be accepted.
For the printed certificate we accept Sterling, Euro or US Dollar currency or a sterling cheque drawn on a UK bank.
NEW ISLAND CONFIRMED
Start Point (HY74 Scotland) is confirmed as an additional valid island. Please add it to your claim list, or download a new copy of the Islands List
COMMONWEALTH GAMES AWARD
W.A.B. ran a special award during the period that the Commonwealth Games took place in Scotland this year. See the Commonwealth Games Award page for details.
W.A.B. are pleased to announce to that we will be making the following donations - a grand total of £3000 this year:
- £500 to R.A.I.B.C.
- £500 to a charity of our Auditor's choice
- £500 to the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
- £500 to R.N.L.I.
- £500 to U.K. Civil Air Patrol
- £500 to Shelterbox
Loraine M3GUE & her mum (both centre, in pink) present the cheque at R.N.L.I. HQ, Poole
Geoff G7GJU presents the cheque to Tony Cowan of the U.K. Civil Air Patrol
Letter of thanks from the U.K. Civil Air Patrol
A quadcopter Unmanned Aerial Vehicle like this will be purchased with the W.A.B. donation
W.A.B. MEMBER REPRESENTING SCOUTS AT WORLD JAMBOREE
14 year old Clifford Warburton M6LKB (book number 18667) has been selected to be part of the UK contingent to attend the Scout World Jamboree in Japan in 2015. He is also a member of Radio Scouting and is training to be a leader
in the Scout Association. A lot of W.A.B.ers will have worked him (and his grandfather David G6LKB) and is seeking sponsorship for this event to the tune of £3300.
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMANT - SAPPHIRE AWARD
Following requests from members and in view of the high level of activity and achievements in the early part of this year, the W.A.B. Committee have decided to increase the levels of the award attainable beyond the initial trophy.
To this end, further trophies can be claimed for attaining multiples of 45 points, with the required squares increasing by the same factor.
2nd Trophy = 90 points & 900 squares required UK HF or 450 squares VHF/Outside Europe & Mobile
3rd Trophy = 135 points & 1350 squares required UK HF or 675 squares VHF/Outside Europe & Mobile
It is statistically very doubtful whether a 4th level could be achieved, but if so it would be:
180 points & 1800 squares required UK HF or 900 squares VHF/Outside Europe & Mobile
W.A.B. LOG BOOKS & MOBILE LOG BOOKS FOR SALE
W.A.B. have produced special Log Books, with columns for recording the W.A.B. Square of stations. There is an A4 sized home station version, and a new small Mobile version. For details, see
the Log Books page.
NEW CONTEST & CONTEST RULES FOR 2014
The W.A.B. Contest Rules have been amended for 2014 (see the Contest Rules page), and a new Data Modes Contest has been introduced at the request of members.
NEWSLETTER EDITOR & NEWSLETTER NAMING COMPETITION
Ken Porter G0FEX has taken over as Newsletter Editor. Our thanks to the 'retiring' editor Geoff Darby G7GJU, who will still remain as Secretary. Please send any newsletter copy/suggestions to Ken (see the Committee page).
CUMULATIVE AWARD WINNERS FOR 2013
President's Trophy - (winning overall single operator contest entrant)
- Winner: G0FVH, David Dolling with 30 points
- Joint Runners up: G8XTJ, John Fitzgerald ↦ M6KVJ, David Boyes with 16 points
- Fourth: M0BKV, Damian Kamm with 12 points
The Keith Robson, GM3VTY, Memorial Trophy - (winning overall multi-operator contest entrant)
- Winners: G6LD, Denby Dale ARS with 50 points
- Runners up: G8BUN, Ossett ARO with 10 points
- Joint Third: G3FYQ, Pontefract ARS & G0AXC, Norman Lockyer Radio Group with 8 points
These were presented at the 2014 W.A.B. A.G.M.
Due to county boundaries no longer being shown on Ordnance Survey 1:50000 maps, and varying definitions of what constitutes a 'county' since Government administrative boundary changes some years ago, the W.A.B. Counties Award is no longer considered a practicable proposition.
New Version of BookFinder program
Roger G0HZK has released an updated version of his BookFinder program. See the BookFinder Program page for more details.
RSGB 100th ANNIVERSARY CALLSIGNS
The RSGB 100th anniversary callsigns do count towards our Special Event Stations award. For further clarification, please see the Special Event Stations Award page.
From the start of 2013, Timed/Annual Awards may only be claimed up to a maximum of 6 months after the end of the qualifying period. For example, the 2013 Decade Award can be claimed until the end of June 2014. This applies to TIMED AWARDS ONLY.
To progress from one award level to another for an Annual Award (e.g. from Bronze to Silver for the Decade Award), each subsequent claim must be for the same band as the first. Claims for a different band will be annotated as Basic level. If a year is missed, the level will return to Basic.
Don't forget that if you would like to join the Committee, please complete a Committee Nomination form (download from the link at the bottom of the Committee page).
W.A.B. Donates to ShelterBox
Worked All Britain has donated £590 to purchase a ShelterBox. You can find more details about ShelterBox here, and track the actual box we have bought by using the tracking number UK0066271 here.
Click on the image on the right to read the letter of thanks.
Update December 2012: Our Shelterbox has been sent to Northern Iraq to shelter refugees from Syria.
CLAIMING AWARDS FROM YOUR ARMCHAIR!
A PayPal "donate" button has been added to each page of the web site. This was not the original intention of it, but it's very suitable to use in claiming awards without leaving home.
Firstly - email your claim to the Awards Manager (see Committee page), secondly - hit the "Donate" button and submit the amount relevant to your claim.
G8PUT LOGBOOK PROGRAM
Chris G8PUT has released a new version of his Logbook Program which will allow record keeping for W.A.B. Awards. More details can be seen on his web site, along with a download facility.
See the G8PUT Logbook Program page for details.
W.A.B. BADGES FOR SALE
W.A.B. have produced enamel badges with the W.A.B. round logo in either Dark Blue or Magenta. See the Price List for your location.
(Please Note: Due to the reflective nature of the badges,
they are difficult to photograph to get a true representation)
W.A.B. QSL CARDS FOR SALE
W.A.B. have two designs of QSL Cards printed for sale. For details, see the QSL Cards page.
G3ABG QSL Card to G3JAS 6 June 1970
Another G3ABG QSL Card