Advice on mobile antenna set-up....

General W.A.B. Discussion
MM6PSX

Advice on mobile antenna set-up....

Post by MM6PSX »

As a (reasonably) keen /P operator, I enjoy the WAB net, activating squares when I can.

I currently have to stop, set up my /P dipole on a telescopic painters pole and get on air. To date, this has been reasonably successful and my WAB log is filling up....

I have however, when doing this, logged a few /M calls that seem to quickly get square to square. Great!

I am interested in knowing what set-up /M users have, particularly the antenna arrangement (I have a 706mk2 for the car & /P).
I have a Landrover Freelander 2 and would not be happy drilling holes in the bodywork, so I am looking at mag-mounts, towball mounts and possibly the use of roof bars (once purchased).

Cheers

Alistair
2M0WTN
Alistair

2M0WTN, previously MM6PSX
Caithness Amateur Radio Society
G4NVB

Re: Advice on mobile antenna set-up....

Post by G4NVB »

Hi Alistair,
Personally I wouldn't use a mag mount, I had one come off at speed which caused some damage to the car in the process. Also it is difficult to avoid fine scratches to the paintwork. I use a single roof bar to mount my antennas these days.
Last edited by G4NVB on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

David - G4NVB
MM6PSX

Post by MM6PSX »

Thanks David,

Thanks for the advice, I am very wary of using a mag-mount and traveling tbh.

I am also looking for feedback on what antenna people are using for /M operations.
I have bought an Ampro 40m mobile antenna (no mounting arrangement as yet, hence this thread) but am interested in what others (Make / Model etc) are using as well.

Thanks

Alistair
2M0WTN
Alistair

2M0WTN, previously MM6PSX
Caithness Amateur Radio Society
G4NVB

Post by G4NVB »

The last time I worked 40 Metre Mobile, I used a COMET CA-HV 40/20/15/10/6/2m bands mainly because I wanted something reasonably small and discreet as I was using a company car visiting customers sites. Still managed to hit a few low bridges though!!!
Regards,

David - G4NVB
MM0VEG

Post by MM0VEG »

Hi Alistair, I use a Diamond HF40CL, a centre loaded monoband antenna for 40m on a triple magmount. I have previously used a proam 40m monobander mounted on a towing eye with a custom made mount that worked ok. It's best if you opt for centre loading rather than base loading and mount the antenna as high as possible on the vehicle. I tried a tow ball mount on my Volvo and it didn't tune up at all, even with a heavy duty earth strap bolted to the chassis. You need a groundplane (metal) underneath the antenna for it to tune properly. Have a look at this web site http://www.k0bg.com

John MM0VEG