Net reports

General W.A.B. Discussion
g0rql

Net reports

Post by g0rql »

Listening to some of the reports over the recent times on the net signal reports by some operators I think are a ridiculously
low and if given a 1x1 I personally would reject the contact rather than trying to respond to it.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to post this link http://tas.wicen.org.au/SOPs/RST_Code.htm on the WAB site as a guide.
G0RQL.
g4est

Re: Net reports

Post by g4est »

Agreed.
If I have an S5 noise level (my best conditions) and I can discern a signal above this level then I consider that this must at times exceed S5.
I have nothing but admiration for those stations who have a zero or S1 noise level and hear stations which are @ S1

The S meter on my rig, TS990S is calibrated with the preamp on, and have since found this is common to a lot of modern rigs. I therefore wonder if meter readings of strength are given with preamp OFF.
If QSB rapid I will attempt to confirm a contact with a 3/3 signal into me, but lower than that is just wasting time so i usually 'pass and move on'.

Charlie
G4EST
g4iar

Post by g4iar »

I know where you're coming from, Don, problem is signal reports are very subjective. It used to be the case that to be acceptable for WAB, the product of the R & S should be four or more, thus 1 x 1 would not be valid. I'm not sure why it was changed.

Even under that system, a 4 x 1 would be valid, but how a signal can be "Readable with practically no difficulty" when it's only "Faint, signals barely readable" is also beyond me! At the end of the day it's a couple of numbers that we ask the receiving station to repeat back so we know that they heard something of the transmitting station. It may even have been "triplets" - which isn't a report at all!

We can consider putting the link on the site, but we'd rather educate than legislate - that's for other award scheme's.

Anyway, my meter's showing that you're throwing me a radio 1 - so it must be right!

73, Dave, G4IAR
G1PIE

Post by G1PIE »

It bugs me when on run down the mobile is readable, when it gets to me they take a dive and the next over they are back up hi hi.
mark.
RSGB,RAOTA,WAB, DMC, EPC.
G0FEX

Post by G0FEX »

Hi Guys
I fully agree with the silly reports of 1-1, as has been said this is not a valid report, what does really bug me is a station will say Last Heard 5-9 & then ask for their report to be repeated several times, at the end of the day you can either hear the station or cannot hear the station, I think a lot of the time individuals will take a chance to see if they can work whoever if they do then it is a point gained.
I am fortunate that I do not suffer from too much noise at my qth and at time can hear stations that others cannot, and at times it works the opposite way others can hear what I cannot.
But if it was passed that a certain signal report of 3 -2 was the minimum for a signal report then everyone would revert to saying this.
Food for thought !!.
Cheers Ken G0FEX :)
g0rql

Post by g0rql »

Absolutely right Ken I have always worked on HF with a minimum rpt of 3x3 and on VHF 3x1 the reason for 3x1 on
vhf is it is normally a quieter band than HF and there are very few with a noise level below S3 on HF.
We experience a lot of the cold calling on SOTA they see the spot appear on SOTA watch and start calling over others hoping to be heard when they haven't actually heard the activator.
As Dave g4iar mentioned there always was a minimum workable report but over the latter years this seems to have disappeared unfortunately along with some of the gentlemanly operating procedure,can you imagine trying to work 1x1 mobile to mobile.
Get off the high horse Don. G0RQL.