Call Sign vs WAB Square

Items of W.A.B. News
Nigel g0bpk

Re: Call Sign vs WAB Square

Post by Nigel g0bpk »

Hello All,
Many years ago I suggested having something similar, and the Data Protection Act raised it's ugly head. I don't expect any members to complain about their data being used, but it may be worth checking up with someone who knows the DPA inside out.
As far as I can remember, any data that is gathered for a reason can only be used for that specific reason. Even if it appears in the public domain, if it is used for another purpose (ie call sign vs WAB square) I think it may fall foul of the DPA.
M0NBK

Post by M0NBK »

I have sent the latest Arealist.txt to Phil G0ABY to load on to his web site. Arealist and Areafinder.exe are zipped together as WAB Call which I have added to Files section of the Yahoo reflector.

Please email me with any corrections, additions or amendments that may be needed.
M0NBK

Post by M0NBK »

Nigel g0bpk wrote:Hello All,
Many years ago I suggested having something similar, and the Data Protection Act raised it's ugly head. I don't expect any members to complain about their data being used, but it may be worth checking up with someone who knows the DPA inside out.
As far as I can remember, any data that is gathered for a reason can only be used for that specific reason. Even if it appears in the public domain, if it is used for another purpose (ie call sign vs WAB square) I think it may fall foul of the DPA.
As the data is being used "for that specific reason" I can't see any problem. But, if anyone asks, I will remove their WAB square from the list