It's just like trainspotting

General W.A.B. Discussion
2E0KSH

It's just like trainspotting

Post by 2E0KSH »

Hi folks,

Thanks to all who helped me to have a pleasant afternoon yesterday on 7.160 whilst amassing my first ever 17 wab contacts. It's added a whole new dimension to amateur radio for me. It was also nice to work some of my Facebook contacts on air for the first time too with Mark G1PIE. It's a shame Dave G4IAR and Judith G4IAQ couldn't work me, with knowing Judith through BYLARA.

Currently, I am aghast in shock at how many squares to collect.. Well... as they say... one foot in front of the other... None-the-less, it was very relaxing filling in the squares for that hour afterwards over a cuppa! I am debating if I prefer the spreadsheet over the book, but there feels something more 'real' about filling in the book. I spend all day on a computer and I see enough spreadsheets as it is so that is probably making my answer!

I worked Rodney EI3KD with square C12. I presume as this is not in the book that his square will be in the Ireland book? Can I still count this C in the WAB large squares book?

Which leaves me one final thing.. I forgot I only have an 80metre half way dipole, running 5 watts on an 817. So how I got through on 40 meters is amazing..!!! I do enjoy the challenge of QRP, and only going to treat myself to a 'big' radio when I get my full license. When I was a foundation I used my full 10 watts on an 897, which later got burgled :-( I made up with an 817 so I could go portable. It's interesting how after you get your first radio you realise which areas interest you. As soon as I got my intermediate, instead of 50 watts it was 5. The irony of it all.. It's not all about power, but I know it makes it easier for listeners.

73 for now

Krystyna 2E0KSH
--
Krystyna 2E0KSH
Sheffield UK
g4iar

Re: It's just like trainspotting

Post by g4iar »

Hi Krystyna, just a very quick reply.

I'm sure we'll get another chance to work, but yesterday we were suffering from QRM as well as our usual QRN and condx were not particularly good propagation-wise. The slightly more distance stations were better with us.

Regarding contacts from EI, sorry these do not count for any of our awards, other than those involving book numbers and book holders. EI will also count as part of the countries requirement for the higher stages of the squares award, but not for the squares, (large or small!) themselves.

Dave, G4IAR
G4NVB

Re: It's just like trainspotting

Post by G4NVB »

2E0KSH wrote: I worked Rodney EI3KD with square C12. I presume as this is not in the book that his square will be in the Ireland book? Can I still count this C in the WAB large squares book?
Shouldn't that be EI 2 KD ??
Regards,

David - G4NVB