WAB Map Wanted ?

General W.A.B. Discussion
M5AED

WAB Map Wanted ?

Post by M5AED »

I have rejoined WAB after a break of nearly 15 years from radio. Have tried to buy a map book that shows the O S squares but there seems to be nothing available, publishers only use their own numbering system. I purchased a WAB book from Graham G4JZF who is aware of this problem so I am wondering now if any member has found a suitable map ?
g4iar

Re: WAB Map Wanted ?

Post by g4iar »

The Phillips Navigator Series use the Ordnance Survey Grid. You will have to extrapolate the grid across the page from the references shown in the corner, though.
M5AED

Post by M5AED »

Thanks for that. I have seen the hard back version but not very impressed with the need to extrapolate the grids but I will take another look at it. Cannot understand why they failed to print the numbers on it. I have found an old map book but it is a small scale "glove box" map, will try the charity shops again for a larger map.
G0UUU

Post by G0UUU »

Mick ex M5AED wrote:Thanks for that. I have seen the hard back version but not very impressed with the need to extrapolate the grids but I will take another look at it. Cannot understand why they failed to print the numbers on it. I have found an old map book but it is a small scale "glove box" map, will try the charity shops again for a larger map.
Hi Mick, you can often find the old AA atlases (the bigger ones) on eBay. Anything 2001 or earlier has the WAB squares (numbered). I got a couple not so long back. Like you I prefer them to the Philips.

They're usually sold by Better World Books in aid of literacy charities and can usually be had for £3 or so.

73, Phil G0UUU.
M5AED

Post by M5AED »

Phil, thanks for your reply. I know that it may be unusual now days but I have never bought anything on the net. Concerned about giving out card details, perhaps it is an age thing ! Will look for old AA maps again in the charity shops and sometimes a local church sells books for fund raising, if I see their advert.