Requesting WAB Squares

General W.A.B. Discussion
G0FEX

Requesting WAB Squares

Post by G0FEX »

Just read the request by a WAB member asking for squares to complete their decade award for 2015, as has been mentioned we have the whole of this year to go at it.
My own thoughts on this are that, one should collect WAB squares as & when they are activated, and not requested by individuals to complete an award etc. (more so, so early in the year).
If we all requested squares required on whatever forum/reflector this would totally ruin WAB, NOT REALLY what it is all about is it, nor is it in the spirit of WAB.
Ken G0FEX
G4NVB

Re: Requesting WAB Squares

Post by G4NVB »

G0FEX wrote:Just read the request by a WAB member asking for squares to complete their decade award for 2015, as has been mentioned we have the whole of this year to go at it.
My own thoughts on this are that, one should collect WAB squares as & when they are activated, and not requested by individuals to complete an award etc. (more so, so early in the year).
If we all requested squares required on whatever forum/reflector this would totally ruin WAB, NOT REALLY what it is all about is it, nor is it in the spirit of WAB.
Ken G0FEX
Hello Ken,
I saw the request on the reflector this morning, I guess he's trying to work the "Decade Award" in the shortest possible time, probably not in the best spirit of WAB. The thing is, if you gain the Award in a few weeks, what then! Myself, I'm happy to build up my Squares / Book Number Totals etc as and when I can. There's always tomorrow!
Regards,

David - G4NVB
g4iar

Re: Requesting WAB Squares

Post by g4iar »

The Decade has already been gained by two members without requesting any particular activity and we no longer number annual awards to stop them becoming a race. This station is going to achieve nothing by this and whenever it is achieved, they will take their place in an alpha-numeric listing. I have no objections to requests towards the end of the year for those short of their annual awards, but certainly not during the first month of its tenure!

We may get an odd request for an "arm twist" on the air if a mobile is near a missing square, but I agree with Ken. We do not want to see the start of long lists of wants posted. I can't stop it on other media, but requests of this nature will be responded to appropriately where I can.

73, Dave, G4IAR
Awards Manager

PS - If you do get the Decade early, you can do like others and go for different endorsements such as all fixed stations, all GM, all GI all one particular mobile etc..